Chiropractic advertising and marketing are often used interchangeably. However, while all advertising typically falls under the marketing umbrella, they are not mutually exclusive. There are a few distinct differences, especially in the digital realm.
As we discuss marketing and advertising and traditional versus digital methods, here are 3 questions to ask yourself about each technique:
- Is this cost-effective?
- Does it provide proof of ROI?
- Does this campaign target my ideal new patient?
Chiropractic Advertising Alone is Not a Marketing Plan
Traditional advertising has been the majority of marketing strategies for the last several decades. Think radio ads, flyers, postcard mailers… etc. However, marketing involves a comprehensive plan on how to reach your ideal customer. Advertising is just one component.
Here are a few examples of the difference between marketing and advertising:
- You advertise a new patient special. You market that regular chiropractic checkups positively impact your health
- You advertise that your practice specializes in treating pregnant mothers. You market your practice by having an environment that makes pregnant mothers feel comfortable.
- You advertise that your practice is in Chicago, IL. You market your practice by telling Chicago residents that they should choose you.
- You advertise your website URL. You market by having a patient-friendly website design that encourages new patients to choose you.
- You advertise for a month. You market every day.
Marketing encompasses more than just the first interaction your prospective patients have with your practice. It is the entire experience – from the ad they clicked on to the website design to the look and feel of your practice lobby. As marketing has shifted over the years, the types of advertising that is most effective has changed dramatically.
Traditional Chiropractic Advertising vs. Digital Advertising
Advertising used to mean just placing an ad in the telephone phone book, sending postcards, and then calling it a day.
However, as the Internet has become the way people interact with businesses, chiropractic advertising has shifted as well.
These days, the most effective forms of advertising are digital advertising – Google AdWords, Facebook ads, review site ads, etc. Why are they so effective? Here’s a few points to consider before beginning your next campaign:
- Provable ROI: In digital advertising, there is a clear way to track how many people clicked or visited your site. With the help of analytic software, you can even see how many people schedule an appointment as a result of your ad.
- Finding Your Ideal Patient: Using Google Analytics, you can see information about your website visitors and use this information to identify the interests and behaviors of your ideal patients.
- Interaction with Patients: Through blogging, social media, SEO, email marketing, and more, you can interact with current and prospective patients in a personal way that isn’t possible with traditional advertising methods.
Taking into account the top 3 questions to ask yourself before starting an ad campaign, digital advertising methods check more of the boxes. They are cost effective, provide proof of ROI, and lead to identifying and targeting your ideal patient.